2021 finest low cost auto insurance in Texas – Motley Idiot
Texas auto insurance laws require drivers to have at least some liability insurance, but finding a great deal is not always easy. The secret to finding the cheapest auto insurance in Texas is to focus on the right providers and compare offers from several of them to see which one gives you the best deal. Here are some of the best Texas auto insurance companies that motorists should consider in their search:
- Most affordable for typical drivers: Texas Farm Bureau Insurance
- Cheapest for drivers with previous accidents: State Farm
- Best for drivers with previous tickets: State Farm
- Most affordable for young drivers: Texas Farm Bureau Insurance
- Cheapest for Older Drivers: Texas Farm Bureau Insurance
- Most affordable for drivers looking for a minimum level of protection: Texas Farm Bureau Insurance
- Best for drivers with bad credit: Farmers Auto Insurance
Cheapest for typical drivers
The best auto insurance in Texas for typical drivers is Texas Farm Bureau Insurance. On average, the premiums for a 35-year-old woman with no accidents cost $ 1,277 per year. A 35-year-old man with a clean record can expect to pay about $ 1,475 a year at the Texas Farm Bureau.
In contrast, the state average for female drivers with a clean record in Texas is $ 2,277 per year. Men with clean records average about $ 2,412 per year.
Other companies that offer affordable auto insurance in Texas include:
- State Farm, which has average premiums of $ 1,461 per year for both men and women
- GEICO with average premiums of $ 1,796 per year for women and $ 1,800 per year for men
Cheapest for drivers with previous accidents
Many drivers with accidents on their driving records find that State Farm has the best auto insurance in Texas for them. It has an average annual premium of $ 1,702 per year. That's well below the state average of $ 3,237 per year for drivers in an accident.
Other companies that offer low-cost auto insurance in Texas to drivers with accidents on their records include:
- Germania Insurance, which has a record average annual premium of $ 2,011 for drivers with an accident
- Southern County Mutual Insurance with an average annual premium of $ 2,384 for drivers with a single accident in recent years
Most economical for drivers with previous parking tickets
State Farm also offered the best auto insurance in Texas for drivers with a single parking ticket. The average premium of $ 1,461 per year is well below the state average of $ 2,700.
But some of its competitors aren't far behind. These include:
- Texas Farm Bureau Insurance with an average annual premium of $ 1,475 for drivers with a single parking ticket
- Germania Insurance, which had an average premium of $ 1,623 per year for drivers who have a single speeding ticket
Cheapest for young drivers
Teenage drivers can expect to pay an average of about $ 6,439 per year to get auto insurance in Texas. But those who choose Texas Farm Bureau Insurance could get a much lower rate. The average annual premium for 18 year old drivers is $ 2,275 per year.
The following companies also offer young drivers some of the cheapest auto insurance in Texas:
- Germania Insurance with an average annual premium of USD 3,353 per year
- State Farm, which has an average annual premium of $ 3,455 per year
Cheapest for older drivers
Older drivers pay an average of about $ 2,110 for auto insurance in Texas. But drivers who choose Texa Farm Bureau Insurance could pay roughly half of that. The average annual premium for a 65-year-old driver is $ 1,182.
Other Texas auto insurance companies that excelled for older drivers include:
- Farmers Auto Insurance, which charges older drivers about $ 1,226 a year on average
- State Farm, which has an average annual premium of $ 1,302 for senior drivers
Most affordable for drivers looking for minimal coverage
Drivers looking for affordable Texas liability insurance should consider Texas Farm Bureau Insurance. It costs only about $ 485 a year on average, which is far less than the state average of $ 712.
Other companies that offer affordable minimum insurance to Texas residents include:
- State Farm, which offers minimum Texas vehicle insurance for an average of $ 513 per year
- AAA, which charges an average of about $ 574 per year for minimum coverage
The cheapest for drivers with poor credit ratings
Bad credit drivers pay an average of about $ 3,570 per year for auto insurance in Texas. According to our research, Farmers Insurance is ready to insure these drivers for an average of about $ 2,155 per year.
Other companies that have offered some of the best auto insurance in Texas for bad credit drivers include:
- Texas Farm Bureau Insurance with an average annual premium of $ 2,329 for drivers with poor credit ratings
- State Farm, which bills bad credit drivers an average of about $ 2,357 per year
Average Texas Auto Insurance Costs Compared to the National Average
How Much Does Auto Insurance Cost In Texas? According to our research, it currently costs an average of about $ 2,785 per year. That's slightly above the national average of $ 2,646. But it is still possible to get cheap car insurance quotes in Texas if you try some of the tips below.
Auto Insurance Laws in Texas
Here are some important Texas auto insurance laws that drivers should be aware of.
Texas is a fault state
Auto insurance states require the driver found to be responsible for the accident to pay medical bills for themselves and the other driver if necessary. This differs from error-free states in which both drivers should have personal protection (PIP). Everyone uses their own PIP to pay for their medical expenses, regardless of who caused the accident.
Consequences for Driving Without Insurance in Texas
The first time a person is caught driving in Texas without insurance, they could face a fine of between $ 175 and $ 350. Follow-up violations can result in fines ranging from $ 350 to $ 1,000. Driving without insurance can also lead to the withdrawal of your driver's license and vehicle registration. Some even have their vehicles confiscated.
Minimum coverage requirements for Texas
The minimum coverage requirements for Texas include the following.
Liability insurance for personal injury
Texas drivers must have at least:
- $ 30,000 Personal Injury Liability Insurance
- $ 60,000 personal injury liability insurance per accident
Liability insurance for property damage
Texas drivers must also purchase at least $ 25,000 in property damage liability insurance to pay for vehicle repairs or other personal property that they have been damaged in an accident.
How To Get Cheap Auto Insurance In Texas
Try these tips to find the cheapest auto insurance in Texas.
- Shop around: All insurance companies weight the different parts of a driver application differently. Therefore, it is important to seek multiple car insurance quotes to determine which one offers the best car insurance in Texas. Start with some of the companies listed above.
- Check out discounts: car insurance companies have their own discounts to help motorists save. Some insurance discounts are granted automatically when a driver signs in, while others require the driver to dial in. For example, more and more insurers are offering discounts to drivers who are willing to install a monitoring device in their vehicles to demonstrate their safe driving behavior.
- Increase the deductible: The car insurance deductible is your deductible in the event of an accident, while the premiums are the monthly cost of your insurance. Increasing the deductible often lowers the premiums for auto insurance in Texas. If a driver saves his deductible in an emergency fund, this should not affect his financial security in the event of an accident.
Other things to consider when looking for auto insurance in Texas
When buying cheap auto insurance in Texas, keep the following things in mind.
Texas has the most hail lawsuits of any US state.
In 2019, nearly 193,000 auto insurance claims were filed in Texas due to hail, according to the Insurance Information Institute. That is by far the most in the country. Motorists can potentially avoid this problem by parking their vehicles in a garage or under a carport. But that is not always possible.
It is advisable to invest in comprehensive coverage as well. This pays for weather-related damage to your vehicle as well as animal-vehicle accidents and more. Lenders may require drivers on a lease or loan for their vehicle to purchase this coverage.
Odessa, Texas, is a hotbed of car theft
Drivers in the Odessa, Texas area can expect to pay slightly more for auto insurance than drivers in other parts of the state, as Odessa has a high rate of vehicle thefts each year, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
This is another reason to consider investing in comprehensive coverage, even if you don't need it. It pays a driver for their stolen vehicle when they cannot retrieve it or when they recover it and it is damaged. The state minimum liability insurance does not protect drivers from this.