Apple bans Epic's "Fortnite" from the App Retailer till the attraction in courtroom ends – Enterprise Insurance
(Reuters) – Apple Inc. has blacklisted "Fortnite" from the iPhone maker's popular app store for several years pending all appeals, said Tim Sweeney, CEO of Epic Games on Wednesday.
Epic Games' opening letter in its appeal to the 9th Court of Appeals is due on December 12, according to a court filing, and Apple's response is due by January 20, 2022. The full appeal process could take years.
Mr Sweeney took to Twitter on Wednesday, calling on Apple's move, saying the company would continue to fight the tech giant.
"This is another extraordinary anti-competitive move by Apple, demonstrating its power to reshape markets and select winners and losers," Sweeney said on Twitter.
The two companies have been in litigation since August last year when the game maker tried to bypass Apple's 30% fee on some in-app purchases on the App Store by introducing its own in-app payment system.
The U.S. tech giant is facing a number of other legal and regulatory challenges that game makers must adhere to, including Epic Games' closely monitored antitrust lawsuit.
Apple confirmed the authenticity of the letter shared by Mr. Sweeney but declined to comment. Apple has not yet announced whether the injunction will be suspended pending appeal.
"Epic has committed a willful breach of contract and trust by hiding code from Apple and making related misrepresentations and omissions," the iPhone manufacturer told Epic Games, according to the letter shared by Mr. Sweeney.
Developers have long criticized Apple's commissions of between 15% and 30% on many purchases in the App Store, which some developers see as an opaque and unpredictable app review process.
Earlier this month, a US federal judge overturned some of Apple's app store rules, forcing the company to allow developers to send their users to other payment systems for a partial profit on behalf of Epic Games and other app makers.
Apple stock rose 1.3% on Wednesday to $ 145.26.