Automobile insurance earlier than shopping for a used car – RateCity

When buying a used car, gathering information about its financial and insurance status is just as important as verifying that it has all of the features you want.

As a buyer, you need to keep in mind that all Australian car owners are required to purchase Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance, also known as a TAC fee or green slip, depending on where you live. The CTP policy is tied to the car, not the owner. When you complete the purchase and transfer ownership and registration, the CTP policy will also transfer to you.

With other types of insurance, if you have an existing policy, you can consider transferring it to your new car to ensure that you are protected in the event of an accident. In this way, you can also receive the insurance benefits you have accumulated over the years, such as a no-claims discount. Your insurer should be able to help you with this.

Choosing the Right Auto Insurance Before Buying a Used Car

A wide range of insurance providers and types are available so make sure you do your research before getting any insurance. If you buy the car from a registered vehicle dealer, your sale may include insurance. However, if you are buying a used car from a private individual, you may need to inquire about existing insurance or get a new policy.

All vehicles are covered by CTP, but you can consider purchasing additional auto insurance that offers more coverage. If you need a quote or a new policy, you have to choose between third party ownership or a comprehensive policy. Liability insurance covers you for any damage you cause to property, such as: B. if you accidentally run into a house. A comprehensive policy is the highest level of coverage you can get. It covers all sorts of events, including the cost of replacing your car if it is deemed beyond repair. Getting auto insurance before buying a used car can be a smart investment as many of the features in the car would be worn out.

Types of auto insurance for used cars

CTP insurance

You must have Compulsory Liability Insurance (CTP) before registering your car in Australia. Some states and territories include it in registration fees, so do check how your state or territory handles it.

The CTP insurance covers the costs if there is personal injury or even the death of a third party in an accident with your car.

If the vehicle you purchased is still registered, the CTP insurance will be transferred to you along with the vehicle and property. This is because CTP policies are issued to the vehicle, not the owner. As soon as there is a transfer of ownership and your data has been attached to the vehicle at the road authority of your state or territory, the CTP will also be transferred. Be sure to check the rules and requirements of CTP insurance in your state or territory as insufficient coverage can result in fines.

Liability insurance

While CTP covers all possible injuries to third parties in the event of an accident, liability insurance covers your costs if you damage someone else's vehicle or property. If you only get liability insurance, your car will not be insured at all. Another aspect to consider is uninsured motorist insurance when purchasing auto insurance when purchasing a used vehicle. This covers to a limited extent damage to your car caused by an uninsured driver.

Fire and theft insurance is another form of liability insurance that also covers damage to your vehicle. You can read the insurance booklet and product disclosure statement to understand each insurance policy and decide if it is right for you. There may be conditions that are normally stated in these documents, e.g. B. who is allowed to drive the car you are insured.

Fully comprehensive insurance

Fully comprehensive insurance is the highest level of coverage that you can take out with a car insurance. It offers protection against all kinds of loss or damage to you, your car, and other people.

The premium is the most expensive of the types of auto insurance discussed. It is determined by several factors, mainly related to the age of the driver, the claim history and even where the car is parked. These policies cannot be transferred between owners, but they can be transferred between cars. So if you currently have fully comprehensive insurance, you can transfer this to your newly purchased car or include the new vehicle as an additional vehicle in the policy.

Read all the insurance details and compare the policies of different insurers before deciding on the right one.

Comments are closed.