Automobile Insurance for Expats Visiting the UK – The Portugal Information

EDITOR, One of my recent experiences might interest your readers. I live in Portugal. Like many others, I recently had to exchange my British driver's license for a Portuguese driver's license in order to continue driving in Portugal. My UK license was canceled at this point.

I will be traveling to the UK soon and will need 30 day temporary insurance to drive my own UK registered car that I will keep for a visit to the UK. Both the Gov.UK and DVLA sites say Portuguese driver's licenses are acceptable in the UK. However, after trying no fewer than 23 different insurance companies and comparison sites in the UK, I couldn't find a single company that would offer me temporary insurance for driving my own car in the UK with a Portuguese driver's license. At some point I had to B.I.B.A. to contact. the UK Insurance Brokers Association. After being made aware of this situation, they suggested that I contact a certain specialized auto insurance broker and they were able to provide me with the insurance coverage I wanted.

To overcome the frustration and difficulty I have experienced anyone who, like me, would like to get temporary insurance can contact

to receive an offer. I have no connection with this company, I just want to pass this time-saving information on to your readers.

Michael Chambers, By email

Comments are closed.