Does the car insurance cowl flood harm? –

The answer depends on what type of insurance you have.

HOUSTON – Every time we get heavy rain in the Houston area, the photos and videos of cars stuck in flooded streets pop up on social media. For the drivers concerned, their first question is likely to be, "Will the insurance company take care of this?"

The answer depends on what type of insurance you have. If you have fully comprehensive insurance for your car, flood damage is insured.

You need to call your insurance company and document the damage to your car. An appraiser will take a look and decide if your car is worth enough to be repaired or if it should be a total write-off.

In the event of a total loss, the insurance company will write you a check for the value of the car. That's maybe less than you owe for the car, and that's where a gap policy comes in. She pays the difference. If you don't have a gap policy, you still owe the rest of the loan.

If you don't have fully comprehensive insurance, you still have to call your insurance company and an appraiser has yet to look. The difference is that you can't expect a payout for repairs or a total write-off of your car.

In either scenario, you can keep and repair your car even if it is a total write-off. According to the Texas Department of Insurance, you must notify your insurance company, which will deduct the residual value of the car from the amount, if any, that you should pay. You may also need to obtain a salvage permit.

Find your car

If you had to park your car in the flood, you need to find out where it was towed.

The Houston Police Dept. offers a website:

If you left it in another county, here are the numbers you might want to call:
Harris Co.- 713-308-8500
Fort Bend Co.- 281-341-4665
Montgomery Co.- 936-760-5871

Comments are closed.