Insurance corporations deny home and auto insurance close to BC forest fires | iINFOnews | Thompson-Okanagan information supply – iNFOnews

Image source: ADOBE STOCK

July 27, 2021 – 1 p.m.

Anyone who needs to renew their car or home insurance during an evacuation alert – or sometimes even within 50 miles of an active fire – can have trouble purchasing some insurance.

If a home or vehicle is already insured, it is insured. But buying a new vehicle or home can cause problems.

"Given the increased risk of vehicle damage in areas where evacuation alarms or orders for fire are in place, we are restricting the sale of new optional covers such as comprehensive and specific hazards that cover fire and other damage while the alarm or order is in place," explains an E. -Mail from ICBC.

Comprehensively includes coverage for loss or damage caused by fire, lightning, theft, vandalism, malicious calamity, storms, earthquakes, hail, impact with animals, missiles, falling or flying objects, civil unrest, civil unrest or rising water, according to the ICBC Website.

The restriction also applies if you already have fully comprehensive insurance but are late in extending your policy.

When it comes to buying a new home, getting insurance can be even more difficult.

"If there is an evacuation alert or evacuation order in this area, or a fire breaks out within 15 miles (as the crow flies) of the house you bought, you could not get insurance and the sales close would likely have to be postponed until the fire was out," it said in an email from Corinne Johnson, Interior Savings Community Engagement Manager.

The restrictive area can be even greater when trying to get a motorhome or other types of insurance.

"If you were within 25-50 km (as the crow flies), depending on the insurance company, you could not add a mobile home, ATV (exception liability), glass, boat, condominium, shifts, tenant, mobile home, construction progress for the construction of a new house, or add or expand existing insurance policies (jewelry tabs, equipment like tractors, water damage, home value increase, etc.) until the fire is deemed extinguished, ”she wrote.

To contact a reporter for this story, Email to Rob Munro or call 250-808-0143 or E-mail to the editor. You can also submit Photos, videos or news tips about the newsroom and take part in a monthly raffle.

We appreciate your comments and opinions on our stories, but play nice. We will not censor or delete comments unless they contain off-topic statements or links, unnecessary vulgarity, false facts, spam or obviously fake profiles. If you have any concerns about what you see in comments, please email the editor using the link above.

News from © iNFOnews, 2021


Comments are closed.