Kokua Line: How do I eliminate a ticket that elevated my car insurance? – Honolulu Star Advertiser

Mahalo for helping Honolulu Star Advertisers. Have fun with this free story!

Qquestion: Over a year ago I received a lawsuit that I challenged in court, which resulted in a reduction to a much lower fee. About a month ago my auto insurance company announced that my premium for my six month renewal would increase by nearly 400% because the company checked my records and found this quote. I spoke to the company about the circumstances and sent a copy of my traffic summary showing the discount on the lower fee. I'm sorry, says the company; we assume the original fee for the quote. They also said that I could have the charge removed from my record like other policyholders have, which would result in a return to my previous premium. Here is my question: what steps can I take to have this traffic record removed?

answers: We contacted Jan Kagehiro, spokeswoman for the state judiciary, who explained how certain court files can be sealed. However, she said it couldn't be in your case (you had provided the quote number so she could follow up). Here is her full answer:

“The ability to seal a court record depends on how the case started and ended. In a case where there has been an arrest but no conviction, a motorist must first apply for a certificate of deletion and then apply for the court record to be sealed. In a case in which no arrest and no conviction have occurred, a motorist can request that the court file be sealed without a certificate of deletion. In a case where a lesser charge has been convicted, the court cannot seal the court record.

"In the specific case to which you referred, it appears from the court records that the motorist was originally charged with the minor offense of leaving the scene of the accident involving damage to a vehicle or other property that was driven by a person or was looked after by her. Court records also show that the motorist later admitted a less serious offense and left the scene of the accident in which an unattended vehicle or other property was damaged, constituting a traffic violation. Since the case was not rejected, the case cannot be removed from the driver's file. "

Q: What kind of website is this where you can search for charities? I don't want to pay a fee just to see if a group is registered.

A: There are several, including those associated with the Attorney General's office. Here are some options:

>> Charity.ehawaii.gov or ag.hawaii.gov/tax, both linked to the Taxes and Charities department. The addresses have security features and official functions. You can find Hawaii registered charities and charity drives on either side. Charities can also register, submit forms, and pay annual registration fees.

>> www.charitynavigator.org, active for two decades, evaluates 501 (c) (3) nonprofits based on financial efficiency, accountability and transparency to instill trust (or not) with potential donors. This website rates charities around the country, but the search results can be filtered by state. Four stars is the highest rating.

>> You can also use the Tax Exempt Organizations Search Tool on the Internal Revenue Service website, www.irs.gov. Be aware, however, that some data may not be available or out of date as the IRS is way behind in processing paper forms submitted by nonprofits. “We are still processing paper-handed 990 series that were received in April 2020 and later,” says the agency on its website.


Mahalo to the kind hearted lady who goes for her daily stroll on Hahaione Street and who always stops by my house to get my newspaper and leave it on my doorstep. This saves me from going down the steps to get my newspaper from the driveway, which can be difficult at my 91 year old. I really appreciate your attention. – Grateful reader

Write to Kokua Line at Honolulu Star Advertiser, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Suite 7-500, Honolulu, HI 96813; call 529-4773; or send an email to kokualine@staradvertiser.com.

Comments are closed.