Minimal Necessities and Legal guidelines for Motor Insurance within the State of South Carolina (2021)
From the Harbison State Forest to the sandy shores of the Atlantic Ocean, there are plenty of beautiful places to go to South carolina. Even if you're on your way to work or school instead of starting an epic road trip, there's one thing that Palmetto State drivers need to think about before buckling up their seat belts – theirs Car insurance policy.
Whether you are a new driver or have previous experience behind the wheel, it is important to understand exactly what type of driver Insurance coverage you need in South carolina How to find the best prices for your specific needs. Assure can help you, providing drivers with real-time quotes in minutes with policy features to help you stay compliant while on the move.
Save on car insurance with Insurify
minimum Requirements for car insurance in South carolina
No matter where you live, your car insurance company will likely make a number of policy decisions when it comes to Car insurance. While it is wise to get a solid policy, not every type of coverage is required by law. In South carolina, Drivers must at least register Car insurance protection Options before you start using your vehicle including:
- Personal Injury Liability, capped at $ 25,000 per person and $ 50,000 per accident: When it turns out that you are guilty of a car accident and the other driver gets hurt, that part of yours Insurance policy will be against your pay Medical bills. It can also add to your legal fees if the other driver sues you.
- Property damage liability with a maximum limit of $ 25,000 per accident: Car repairs can add up quickly, and if you damage someone else's vehicle during a collision, this coverage can help cover those costs. Remember your Property damage The insurance cover does not pay for repairs to your vehicle.
- Uninsured motorist protection with a limit of $ 25,000 per person and $ 50,000 per accident: South carolina requires this type of protection to suit yours Liability for injuries Limits and include $ 200 Deductible. Should your vehicle be from a uninsured driver or get caught up in a hit-and-run, this coverage will take hold.
It is important to note that the above types include: Liability insurance just and wouldn't help a driver if his car was in one car accident. Many drivers want more than just Liability insurance and often opt for comprehensive and Collision protection. While optional for Driver from South Carolina, these features can be a more robust Car insurance policy.
>>> MORE: How Much Car Insurance Do I Need?
If you want to make the most of yours Auto Insurance in South Carolina, Protection against personal injury (PIP) is another option to consider. This choice helps cover your own medical payments when you are injured in one car accident and, although similar in concept to Liability for injuries, is not based on who caused the collision.
is State minimum Auto insurance enough in South carolina?
For drivers who rarely use their vehicle, the registration in Car insurance with the Minimum limits enough. However, if you are traveling for business or pleasure it may be wise to explore other types of optional cover. Only you know what level of protection you need, but in the event of an A. car accident.
Many motorists find that there is collision as well comprehensive coverage are essential elements of a robust Car insurance policy. While these functions are likely your monthly Insurance premiums, They more pay off than you should if you get involved in a collision. Here's what these types of Car insurance coverage include:
- Accident insurance helps pay for repairs to your vehicle after an accident. It should be mentioned that South carolina is a state of fault, so the amount of money you would get out of a claim may vary depending on who was responsible for the accident. Drivers can choose Collision protection with a number of limits and Deductibles.
- Comprehensive insurance coverage comes into play if your vehicle is damaged outside of an accident. Vandalism, flooding and theft are often insured incidents, as are losses related to fire or falling objects. Auto Insurance in South Carolina Providers offer this type of coverage with multiple policy limit options and Deductibles.
South carolina Residents who buy auto insurance are likely to try to find several Insurance offers before you take out a policy, and it's no surprise that the more coverage you add to a policy, the greater your coverage Insurance premiums will be. If you're on a budget, this is straightforward Liability insurance may be a better option for you.
What is the penalty for driving without car insurance in South carolina?
Unlike other states, South Carolina technically doesn't require motorists to purchase auto insurance before getting behind the wheel. Instead, residents have two options: They can Minimum coverage Politics from on Insurer, or you can pay DMV $ 550 to obtain an uninsured motorist license.
>>> MORE: Car insurance for risk drivers
If you meet certain requirements, including a Driving record accident-free in the past three years, you may be able to sign up for this unique type of registration. In this way you ensure that you will be held financially responsible for any accident you cause and that your registration can be revoked in the event of a breach of move.
A motorist should choose both traditional ones Car insurance and uninsured drivers, they could face hefty fines if found driving a vehicle. In addition to paying the $ 550 fee for uninsured motorists, drivers without car insurance may also be subject to the following obligations:
- An additional fine of $ 100 to $ 200
- 30 days in jail
- A daily fine of $ 5 for every day they are not insured
- Suspension of vehicle registration and driver's license
- A $ 200 reinstatement fee and an SR-22 added to their driving history
It is important that you stay consistent Car insurance protection in South carolina and wear Proof of insurance in your vehicle with one car accident. the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles and local Prosecution Take car insurance seriously because it is designed to protect everyone on the road.
Minimum requirements in South carolina for SR-22 guidelines
People with Driving records who are not perfect might find that Car insurance rates are higher, but if you have had repeated driving violations in the past, you may be classified as a high risk driver insurer. In this case, you may need an SR-22 with DMV to stay compliant with the law.
An SR-22 is not insurance and does not provide protection in the event of a car accident. Instead, it will confirm that you are enrolled Car insurance which meets, if not exceeds, the Minimum coverage limits required in South carolina. Once you've signed up for your new policy, your insurer will your SR-22 at the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
>>> MORE: Motor Insurance Appraisers
High risk drivers in some states may be familiar with the FR-44 form, and while similar in function to the SR-22, it is in. not mandatory South carolina. Motorists should be familiar with their Car insurance rates to be higher while having an SR-22 on theirs Driving record, but over time and with good driving habits, you may be able to get insurance without this requirement.
Additional coverage South Carolina driver Should be considering
Obtain Car insurance which meets the minimum requirements of the state South carolina is a must, but some drivers want to focus on having the most robust policy possible in the event of an accident. If your auto insurance budget is quite big, consider adding a few of these additional covers:
- Uninsured personal injury caused by motorists (or UMBI) helps cover your own medical bills after an accident when the other party is either uninsured or underinsured. If you have both PIP and UMBI protection, it is likely that your PIP will pay your claim first as it generally offers lower coverage limits.
- If you're looking for even more solid coverage for medical expenses, MedPay might be a smart option. While PIP can help with lost wages in addition to medical expenses, MedPay can offer higher funding for medical and funeral expenses.
- Many drivers want to feel safe on the road in the event of a flat tire or a mechanical breakdown. This feature is often quite cheap and usually does not increase your car insurance rates.
Remember your Car insurance policy must meet your specific driving needs, and while some motorists may want every available option, others can choose which types of additional coverage makes the most sense for them. It's smart to get several Offers for car insurance with different options to get an idea of the amount of your rewards.
Save on car insurance with Insurify
Frequently Asked Questions: South Carolina Minimum Car Insurance
Is Car Insurance Mandatory in South Carolina?
Motorists in South Carolina must sign up for a minimum insurance policy or apply for uninsured motorist registration. While car insurance will help pay for damage and medical expenses resulting from a car accident, drivers who are uninsured will have to pay these costs out of their own pocket.
In what situations do drivers in South Carolina have the right to sue?
South Carolina is a culpable state; H. Your auto insurance pays a claim based on your level of responsibility in a car accident. Not at fault drivers can sue another motorist up to three years after the date of the incident; However, wrongful death lawsuits begin on the day a person dies.
Is There Alternative Evidence of Financial Responsibility in South Carolina?
Residents who do not take out car insurance or who do not want to register as an uninsured driver can provide the DMV with alternative proof of financial responsibility. Such evidence may include purchasing a bond stating that you will pay for liability costs in the event of a car accident, choosing a property bond to cover the costs in the event of an accident, or paying $ 35,000 as a security deposit.
Updated September 9, 2021
Courtney Levin, a former licensed insurance producer, has been a freelance writer since 2016. She graduated from Sonoma State University with a degree in communications and has been creating content for Insurify for nearly two years.